I was trying to apply some Windows updates on Windows XP SP3, and I kept getting the “Checking for the latest updates on your computer”, but never past it. This seems to be due to a problem related to incomplete previous downloads, or some corrupted Windows Updates files.
If you are having this problem, here is how you resolve the problem:
- Open a command prompt (Start / Run … / (type) cmd and press enter
- Type: proxycfg -d (this will setup the proxy back to direct connection to the internet
- Stop the Windows Update Service. (from a command prompt, type) : net stop wuauserv
- Now open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and delete all of its contents
- Start the Windows Update Service. (from a command prompt, type) : net start wuauserv
Voilà! now you can go back to the Windows Updates, and it should work like a charm.