Since I spent 45 minutes trying to figure out this problem, I figured, it’s worth posting it for others to benefit from. To start, I’m not really sure if this problem is a new addition to the new 3.0.1 version of WordPress, but it is worth considering that variable, since I started dealing with this problem as soon as I upgraded to 3.0.1 this morning.

The issue is that every time that I went to the plugins.php page, I would receive the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 491520 bytes) in /home1/foreignk/public_html/blog/wp-admin/menu.php on line 235

The first thing that came to mind to check on this was the php.ini memory_limit directive, which was set to 32M . changing it to 64Mb didn’t help. At this point, I wasn’t sure what was going on, so I started looking in the WordPress code to see if the value are hard coded somewhere, in reading the forums, some people suggested to add: define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’,’64M’); to the wp-config.php file.  that also did not help.

During this time, phpinfo.php was actually showing the memory_limit to be set as I set it in php.ini, which was even more baffling.

The solution finally was found in the the file: /wp-includes/default-constants.php

In that, there is a section commented //set memory limits (see code below)

I just change the values to 128M and 64M respectively. After this changed, my plugins.php loaded again, and was  no longer getting the memory error.

Hope this helps somebody out there.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Subscribe By Email for Updates.